Hawaii gas prices reversed course and began heading up quickly in the last week, setting even more daily records over the last few days, according to the AAA Hawaii Weekend Gas Watch. The average regular unleaded gas price for Hawaii is $5.20, which is 11 cents higher than last week and a new record for the state. The average national price is $4.23, down one cent from a week ago.
In Honolulu, today’s average price for regular unleaded is $5.11, which is 11 cents above last week, 65 cents higher a month ago, and $1.55 higher than the price on this date last year. The Hilo average gas price is $5.25, up 14 cents from last Thursday’s price, 72 cents higher than a month ago, and $1.44 higher than on this date a year ago.
In Kahului, the average price is $5.30, which is ten cents higher than last week, 61 cents higher than last month, and $1.53 higher than a year ago. Lihue’s average price for regular is $5.38, which is up eight cents from last week, 59 cents higher than last month, and $1.50 higher than a year ago.
“Oil prices jumped significantly from March 15 to March 22, which may be a major factor in local prices rising,” said Liane Sumida, AAA Hawaii general manager. “President Biden’s announcement today about releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve will likely not directly affect Hawaii’s oil supply, but could lower local gas prices if it helps to decrease overall oil prices.”
AAA Hawaii tips to save on fuel include:
- If you use premium unleaded fuel, make sure it is required for your vehicle, not just recommended. AAA’s Automotive Research Center found that vehicles with recommended premium fuel performed safely with regular unleaded gasoline.
- Make sure your tires are properly maintained and inflated to the correct level.
- Maintain your car according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Regular service will ensure optimum fuel economy.
- Avoid “jackrabbit” starts and hard accelerations. These actions greatly increase fuel consumption.
- Slow down and drive the speed limit. Higher speeds result in more aerodynamic drag.
- Use cruise control on the highway to help maintain a constant speed and save fuel. However, never use cruise control on slippery roads because you could lose control of the vehicle.
- Minimize your use of air conditioning.
- Avoid extended idling to warm up the engine, even in colder temperatures. It’s unnecessary and wastes fuel.
- Remove unnecessary and bulky items from your car.
- Minimize your use of roof racks and remove special carriers when not in use.
- Download the AAA Mobile app to find the cheapest gas prices near you.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find AAA discounts, book a hotel and access AAA Roadside Assistance. Learn more at AAA.com/Mobile.
Prices as of 6 a.m., March 31: