While gas prices throughout the U.S. continued skyrocketing for the week at levels not seen since the start of the Ukraine war due to continued uncertainty about worldwide fuel supplies, pump prices in Hawaii also set new records, according to the AAA Hawaii Weekend Gas Watch. The average regular unleaded gas price for Hawaii is $5.31, which is four cents more than last week and just a fraction below yesterday’s new state record price. The average national price is $4.42, up 17 cents from a week ago.
In Honolulu, today’s average price for regular unleaded is $5.20, which is just a fraction below yesterday’s record price, four cents higher than last week, five cents higher than a month ago, and $1.44 higher than the price on this date last year. The Hilo average gas price is $5.36, a new record and up five cents from last Thursday’s price, up six cents from last month, and $1.42 higher than on this date a year ago.
In Kahului, the average price is $5.44, which is a cent below yesterday’s new record price and two cents higher than last week, ten cents higher than last month, and $1.61 higher than a year ago. Lihue’s average price for regular is $5.61, which is a new record price and up eight cents from last week, 15 cents higher than last month, and $1.59 higher than a year ago.
“Hawaii gas prices rose more slowly than in other states this past week, but unfortunately continue to set new records,” said Liane Sumida, AAA Hawaii general manager. “Another phenomenon that has occurred during this latest price runup is that premium gasoline has become even more expensive compared to regular grade gasoline. AAA’s Automotive Research Center has found that if your vehicle’s manual just recommends premium fuel and does not require it, the vehicle will operate safely and efficiently with the much less expensive regular gas.”
More AAA Hawaii tips to save on fuel include:
- If you use premium unleaded fuel, make sure it is required for your vehicle, not just recommended. AAA’s Automotive Research Center found that vehicles with recommended premium fuel performed safely with regular unleaded gasoline.
- Make sure your tires are properly maintained and inflated to the correct level.
- Maintain your car according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Regular service will ensure optimum fuel economy.
- Avoid “jackrabbit” starts and hard accelerations. These actions greatly increase fuel consumption.
- Slow down and drive the speed limit. Higher speeds result in more aerodynamic drag.
- Use cruise control on the highway to help maintain a constant speed and save fuel. However, never use cruise control on slippery roads because you could lose control of the vehicle.
- Minimize your use of air conditioning.
- Avoid extended idling to warm up the engine, even in colder temperatures. It’s unnecessary and wastes fuel.
- Remove unnecessary and bulky items from your car.
- Minimize your use of roof racks and remove special carriers when not in use.
- Download the AAA Mobile app to find the cheapest gas prices near you.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find AAA discounts, book a hotel and access AAA Roadside Assistance. Learn more at AAA.com/Mobile.
Prices as of 6 a.m., May 12: