The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to push down the number of Pacific state residents traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday by at least 11 percent compared to last year, according to AAA Hawaii. That’s the largest year-over-year decline since the 2008 recession, which caused a 26 percent drop in Thanksgiving travel in the Pacific states.
The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, including health and economic concerns, are impacting Americans’ decisions to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday. Air travel and other modes of transportation such as cruises, buses and trains are the most impacted by the pandemic. The vast majority of those in the westernmost states who are planning to travel – 92 percent – will do so by car. In 2019, 86 percent of Thanksgiving travelers in Pacific states drove to their destinations.
By the numbers: 2020 Thanksgiving travel forecast
“Because so many destinations, tours and cruises are not available this year, members are contacting our travel agents to book trips in 2021 and 2022, when they anticipate they will be able to vacation more safely,” said Liane Sumida, AAA Hawaii general manager.
With COVID-19 cases surging in many parts of the country, the Auto Club is urging those who do choose to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday to know the risks and minimize them by taking the following steps:
- Bring along enough personal protective gear and hand sanitizer for all those traveling for each day of travel, as well as a thermometer to monitor your health.
- Bring cleaning supplies to wipe down surfaces in locations where you stay overnight.
- Use protective barriers such as plastic baggies or gloves to open doors, fill up the gas tank, or touch any other surfaces in public places. Throw them away after use.
- Minimize your travel stops by bringing along your own snacks, food, and drinks. Use drive-throughs or curbside pickup at restaurants if you do stop.
- When visiting family members or friends, or when making travel stops, remember to socially distance, wear masks, and frequently wash your hands.
- Know the COVID-19 restrictions along the route you will be traveling and at your destination. You can quickly access them by mapping out your route at AAA.com/TripTik and using the COVID-19 restrictions feature.
- Before you head out, be sure your vehicle is ready for the trip to avoid a breakdown along the way. AAA expects to rescue more than 413,000 Americans by the roadside this Thanksgiving. AAA makes it easy to request assistance – by phone, app or online – and members can track the service technician’s progress as they make their way to your vehicle.
AAA’s projections are based on economic forecasting and research by IHS Markit, a London-based business information provider. For the purposes of this forecast, the Thanksgiving holiday travel period is defined as the five-day period from Wednesday, Nov. 25 to Sunday, Nov. 29.
In cooperation with AAA, IHS Markit developed a unique methodology to forecast actual domestic travel volumes, using macroeconomic drivers such as employment; output; household net worth; asset prices including stock indices; interest rates; housing market indicators and variables related to travel and tourism, including prices of gasoline, airline travel and hotel stays. For the 2020 Thanksgiving holiday travel forecast, IHS Markit also examined changes in the IHS Markit containment index regarding local COVID-19-related restrictions as well as the national case count and trend.
About IHS Markit
IHS Markit (NYSE: INFO) is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. IHS Markit has more than 50,000 business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world’s leading financial institutions. Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth